Earth Observation in the frame of EO-MINERS - Overview of remote sensing methods, sensors and applications
- Instrument: In RS, an instrument is a term that refers to any mechanism composed of a detector(s), a transmitter(s) and an archiving unit.
- Sensor: A sensor is a mechanism based on an assembly of electromagnetic detectors, radiant collimator (antenna or lenses), dispersion element and in active sensors also a radiation generator.
- Products: A RS product is the data processing results of meaningful information acquired by a sensor. The products are affiliated to a geographic location to create a thematic map of the phenomena in question.
- Mission: A RS mission is an operation designed to carry out the goals of a specific program to acquire RS information. It includes the thematic question at hand, selection of an instrument and configuration, ground truth activities and setting a proposed final product(s).
- Service: A RS service is the complete work process done by skilled personals in the RS field. It answers a thematic question raised by a customer and is composed of the mission planning procedure, data acquisition, data processing and the delivery of the final product.
- Platform: A RS platform is a mobile (as a satellite or aircraft) or immobile (as a camera stand) unit used for to carry a specified kind of RS equipment.